Monday, May 14, 2007

Expect Anything

You’re quiet
Muddling around
Soaking up all my blankets
Silently, striping my decision to stay

Yes, you’ll always be able to say you tried
If appearances deem it so
While you safely tuck your guilt into a corner
Pruning all its grey leaves
Meanwhile, pushing me back across the threshold

Forgive me my dear, I don’t mean to point the finger at you
I’ll back up across the nicely drawn line—
Strap my tie on,
Tip my hat,
Show my crooked teeth,
And be your amusement
As you slip beyond the pines

Don’t worry, I don’t dare expect anything
You’ve done your job
Lowering my expectations
While you salivate your outlook to tunnel vision

Wrap me in and make me spit it out
Even so, you’re not the villain when you have a midget to pawn off the evidence
Besides, villains grin

Don’t stress
Your indecision makes your choice clear, I get it
I won’t shout it to where everyone can hear
I’ll harbor it beneath a white sheet of blame
Your mask will remain free from staining
I’ll bare the mark like a check on a list and give a curtsy
So you can cuddle and cling secretly to your fears

No comments: