Thursday, November 6, 2008

First Honor

Never have I thought being American was something to be shameful. America is my home after all. Even so, I’ve never owned the proud feelings I’ve seen many others in my nation demonstrate either. Today, however, something has changed. For once I’m joining in on that particular special feeling I have sensed exuding from my neighboring Americans. No longer am I simply aware that I am American. No. Today, I feel privileged and a sense of pride to be American and that awareness offers me hope!

"In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people. Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.
Let's remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House, a party founded on the values of self-reliance and individual liberty and national unity.
Those are values that we all share. And while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress.
As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection."

"But above all, I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to. It belongs to you. It belongs to you...This is your victory." -President Barak Obama


Congratulations, ‘My fellow Americans.’ YES WE CAN.

2 comments:

Mark_W said...

Susie,

Indeed, and hooray! I read somewhere that Obama writes his own speeches, and he’s certainly very good at it...I remember in the third debate, McCain several times described Obama as “eloquent”, as if it was an insult; whereas of course, a primary job of any leader, especially the leader of America, is surely to be able to communicate effectively, and inspiringly...

For tedious insomnia reasons I heard Obama’s election night speech live, and was, with much of the world, completely caught up in it...(I thought the echoes of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and the “Yes, We Can” refrain were particularly splendidly done...)

Listening to it again the next day with my structure head on, (and all of this is meant in admiration of Obama rather than tedious criticism, (and, too, it may be that I have the number 3 on the brain at the moment) I was struck by Obama’s remarkable use of triplicates:

those who have been told for so long by so many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve...

[...]

It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America.

[...]

Our campaign was not hatched in the halls of Washington - it began in the backyards of Des Moines and the living rooms of Concord and the front porches of Charleston. It was built by working men and women who dug into what little savings they had to give $5 and $10 and $20 to the cause.

[...]

There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after their children fall asleep and wonder how they'll make the mortgage, or pay their doctor's bills, or save enough for their child's college education.

[...]

Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House - a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity.

[...]

A man touched down on the Moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination.

[...]

America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do.

etc. etc. etc.

The power of three, again!

Mark_W

Susie Q said...

Interesting...I always group decorative items in groups of three. Of course, when listing out stuff in writing I will more often than not group things in three...lol.

I often thought Obama was excellent at bringing forth many inspiring speeches but questioned weathered he had the ability to carry it forth or even if it specifically qualified him as our president. Then it dawned on me that a person capable of inspiring and communicate with millions on a a very broad scale has the aptitude to bring about fresh ideas and join many different people together. Perhaps the descriptive word, visionary, suits his character. Indeed, the president needs to have brains enough to be realistic and have the ability to recognize present complications made from history's decisions but I personally believe that he/she must also have a vision...and the staff behind him or her the ability to work out the technicalities of mapping out the 'how'.

BTW, I take mini-breaks during study. So I will take a read of your new posting shortly.