Monday, December 1, 2008

Fragile

Scattered rhythm, like my heart
Speckling my bedroom windows with beads
Dull as the sky, pale grey drops of bent light
Transparent as I feel, fragile in this bark

Gentle whisper, be now easy on yourself
The sum of one endlessly undone from her marrow
Folded from the day, shutting out
Everything I’ve let expectation gain from me
Except one, to be ordinarily human

Crushed under all the happenings
Begging for my spine to disappear,
This is all a hefty weight of bare
Just a little too much
I shall allow none more
This lesson from beneath my windowsill and rain

2 comments:

Mark_W said...

I really liked this: quite apart from what the scattered rhythm of the rain has kept me up all night thinking of on occasion, there have certainly been times when I’ve thought a spine to be a bit of an encumbrance; and the implications of bare/bear in this respect I thought was really good....

Nice one....

Mark_W

Jonathan said...

Susie-

I've already told you what I think about this poem. But this passage is particularly good:

"The sum of one endlessly undone from her marrow
Folded from the day, shutting out
Everything I’ve let expectation gain from me
Except one, to be ordinarily human"

You have a real talent.