Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Devious Innocent

Were I to peer out of those green and sometimes bluish spheres, could I still sing?
All along, the crow’s purple feather crookedly pointed
But never toward any glimmer or stream of warm sun
Yes, you have seen this grin
Indeed, I am well aware of my place behind these pores, bent teeth, and smirk
Childish runaway that is me, do not mistake my integrity nor my deeds
Summing me up to a 9 x 3
Selfless, please, any mention of my intention
None is above your shun and tease
And so, my shining steel and silver plate, or so you say
How dare I not recognize your saving grace when I am but on my knees
Here, within the round dents of clay and grey moon moaning for its blessed birth
I beg you to make sense of this?
Newly painted nails tirelessly chipping away, expecting me not to hurt
While misconstruing my very words only to have them shoved down my throat and choked up for tonight
I never meant to let you down, nor color those pupils sandalwood
Always, I promise, I loved you every inch of the way down while crossing the waist line and belt
What a shameless, pathetic thief
Tell me what I should think of myself…a bitch?
Better yet, why not just call me a slut
Tossing and braiding my hair into perfect pigtails, “Smile but never feel.”
If not animosity, then I am at a loss and finally put these two hands together
Pray tell me, “What then?”
My pulse has slowed and my mind numbed as you keep demanding,
“What did you expect from borrowing MY clown!”
Betrayed hero, I never meant to disappoint you nor thought I could
And you were right, I am hurting
Though, not by whom your crystal ball had formerly predicted
Silly girl was I…


Susie E.

No comments: